“Not every home baker has time to make the perfect pie crust,” Caitlyn Cox of RT Lodge in Tennessee says. “I wanted to make one with Saltines instead.” That immediately put her on the path to Bill Smith’s iconic Atlantic Beach pie. Her version—punched up with passion fruit, guava puree, and a Coco Lopez-spiked whipped cream—gives a nod to her Florida childhood, where she was surrounded by tropical flavors.
1½ cups ground crackers
1 teaspoon salt
⅓ cup sugar
8 tablespoons melted butter
½ cup guava puree
⅔ cup passion fruit puree
¼ cup lime juice
1¼ cups sugar
2 egg yolks
Zest from 1 lemon
1½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 sheet bloomed silver gelatin
1 Crumble Pie Crust recipe (cracker variation)
2 cups heavy cream
¼ cup Coco Lopez
Zest from 1 lime and ½ cup toasted coconut flakes for garnish
For the pie crust
For the pie
For the Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Press into pie plate and blind bake until golden brown and set, about 20 to 30 minutes. Cool completely before using.
For the Pie
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine fruit purees, lime juice, sugar, eggs, yolks, lemon zest, and ½ teaspoon salt. Whisk until mixture starts to simmer and thicken.
- Pour fruit mixture into a vertical blender and add butter and gelatin. Blend on high until light and fluffy. Pour into Crumble Pie Crust and chill overnight in refrigerator.
- The next day, whip together heavy cream, Coco Lopez, and remaining salt in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment until light and fluffy.
- Top pie with whipped cream and decorate with lime zest and toasted coconut flakes.
Recipe ByCaitlyn Cox of RT Lodge in Tennessee