Food Culture of the South
Makes 1 cocktail
¾ ounce brandy (Calvados Boulard VSOP)
½ ounce Rittenhouse rye
½ ounce quinquina (Cap Corse Mattei Rouge)
½ ounce yellow chartreuse
¾ ounce spiced honey crisp apple shrub (recipe follows)
3 dashes Angostura bitters
2 drops cardamom bitters
Garnish: Apple slices
- In a mixing glass, combine all ingredients except garnish with ice.
- Stir, then strain into a chilled coupe or Nick & Nora glass and garnish with a fan of apple slices.
Spiced Honey Crisp Apple Shrub
8 honey crisp apples (or 4 apples and 1 cup apple juice)
1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground clove
3 star anise pods
1 cup demerara sugar
Raw apple cider vinegar
1. Juice 4 apples and dice the remaining 4 apples. Combine juice, diced apples, and spices in a container. Cover with sugar and let macerate for up to 48 hours.
2. Add macerated apples and syrup to a small pot with an equal ratio of apple cider vinegar. Bring to a low simmer, then remove from heat and set aside for up to 1 hour. Pour through a fine mesh strainer, discarding solids, and refrigerate liquid.
- From Stephen Blackmon, Doar Bros., Charleston