Since opening Phillip Ashley Chocolates Design Studio and Boutique in Memphis’ Historic Cooper-Young District two years ago, Rix has become sought after his wildly flavored confections such as these easy truffles, a great edible hostess gift. No dipping is required for Rix’s Elvis-inspired truffles, which are rolled in peanuts.
Approximately 35 truffles
10 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate (bar or chips)
⅓ cup heavy cream
¼ cup banana purée (about half a small banana, blended in a food processor)
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter, melted (microwave for about 20 seconds)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups crushed, honey-roasted peanuts, for coating
- In double boiler, set over simmering water, melt chocolate and stir until smooth.
- In small saucepan, heat cream just until small bubbles form on top. Whisk into melted chocolate
- Add banana purée, stir, then add melted peanut butter and butter. Whisk until homogenous and shiny, a dark ganache.
- Place plastic wrap directly over ganache to prevent skin from forming and rest overnight in refrigerator.
- Once set, use melon baller to scoop out ganache balls.
- Ensure hands are cool, and roll truffles to even rounds with palms.
- Place peanuts in bowl and roll truffles in nuts to evenly coat. Refrigerate.
Recipe ByPhillip Ashley Rix of Phillip Ashley Chocolates, Memphis, Tennesee