CHEF’S NOTE: This recipe has been about five years in the making. My cousin Philip provided some inspiration due to my sampling many different types of his jerky, which are all delicious and creative. In my time working as a breakfast chef at a heli-ski lodge in the Ruby Mountains I really experimented with the recipe and got people’s feedback. When I came to TerraMae it came full circle with the addition of benne seeds, which I was introduced to when I lived in Charleston. It’s something we are known for, and people buy it by the pound and ship it.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place bacon on sheet pans with drip grates to help collect rendering fat and to facilitate crisping.
- In small bowl, whisk together Sriracha, brown sugar, spices, and water.
- Using a pastry brush, generously coat bacon with mixture, then sprinkle heavily with benne seeds.
- Place bacon in oven and bake 12 minutes. Rotate pan and decrease temperature to 325 degrees. Bake for another 15 minutes. Rotate pan again and continue baking 12–15 minutes or until bacon is dark chocolate brown with crisp edges.
- Allow bacon to cool on pans. It will continue to crisp as it cools.