While Beardcat’s uses a gelato machine, you can use any ice cream or frozen dessert spinner—though the texture may differ slightly.
- Whisk yolks and sugar until light and fluffy; set aside.
- In a saucepot over medium-low heat, combine milk, heavy cream, salt, and vanilla bean. Heat until barely simmering but not boiling. Remove vanilla bean.
- Slowly pour hot liquid mixture into sugared yolks, whisking rapidly to prevent scrambling.
- Return mixture to saucepot over low heat. While continuously stirring with a wooden spoon, watch closely as the mixture begins to thicken into a custard. Once thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon, remove from heat.
- With a fine mesh sieve, strain mixture into a bowl and fold in chocolate chips. Place over an ice water bath, stirring occasionally until chilled to prevent a skin from developing. Put in refrigerator with plastic wrap on the surface until ready to spin.
- Prepare an ice cream or gelato machine as instructed and follow manufacturer’s directions for spinning frozen desserts. Transfer gelato to a chilled container.