16 ounces black Urad Dal (black beans)
3 tablespoons garam masala
1 tablespoon red chili powder
Salt to taste
8 ounces kidney beans, boiled
3 tablespoons garlic-ginger paste
1 cup tomato paste
2 pounds butter, divided
- Cook Urad Dal beans with garam masala, chili powder, and salt until cooked.
- Place in a large pot with kidney beans and garlic-ginger paste.
- Cook over medium heat until raw smell of garlic-ginger paste is gone.
- Add tomato paste and cook until raw smell is gone.
- Add in butter, half a pound at a time, making sure that all butter is completely dissolved before adding more.
- Taste and adjust flavor and seasoning as you wish.
Editor’s Note: This dish is part of Chauhan’s Ode to Nashville with a “Meat and Three” in a Tiffin Box. The other dishes that comprise this tribute are Shrimp Moilee, Rice Pulao, Saag Paneer, and Apple Mint Raita.
- from Maneet Chauhan of Chauhan Ale & Masala House, Nashville, TN