1 pound spinach, washed and finely chopped
1 pound mustard greens, washed and finely chopped
½ pound frozen fenugreek leaves
2 green chilies
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
Salt to taste
5 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter), divided
1 tablespoon bengal gram flour (or corn/maize flour)
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon grated garlic
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ pound paneer cheese, cubed and fried
- Fill a stockpot with water and add all greens, green chilies, chopped ginger, and salt. Boil until tender and cooked.
- Drain greens and purée in a food processor until it is the consistency of a coarse paste.
- Heat half the ghee in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add bengal gram flour and cook until raw smell disappears. Reserve until ready to use.
- In a separate sauté pan, heat remaining ghee over a medium flame. When uniformly hot, add onion and sauté until pale golden in color.
- Add grated ginger, garlic, garam masala, and cooked gram flour.
- Add greens paste and stir until blended. Season to taste.
- Mix in the deep-fried paneer and serve.
Editor’s Note: This dish is part of Chauhan’s Ode to Nashville with a “Meat and Three” in a Tiffin Box. The other dishes that comprise this tribute are Grandma’s black lentils, shrimp moilee, rice pulao, and apple mint raita.
Recipe ByManeet Chauhan of Chauhan Ale & Masala House in Nashville
Contributing RestaurantChauhan Ale and Masala House