- Wash and soak rice in water (or stock) for at least ½ hour and up to 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat and add cinnamon stick, cardamom, and cloves. Heat until fragrant and add garlic-ginger paste, cooking until raw smell disappears.
- Add soaked rice, reserving soaking liquid, to pan and sauté. Then add soaking water or stock. Add salt. Cover and cook on very low heat.
- Rice is cooked when liquid is absorbed and rice is fluffy. Check periodically, using a fork to move it around to prevent sticking to bottom of pan.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil, add cumin, and sauté until fragrant. Top rice with cumin oil.
Editor’s Note: This dish is part of Chauhan’s Ode to Nashville with a “Meat and Three” in a Tiffin Box. The other dishes that comprise this tribute are Grandma’s Black Lentils, Shrimp Moilee, Saag Paneer, and Apple Mint Raita.