Makes about 12
½ cup unsalted butter
1¾ cups sugar, divided
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup maple syrup
2½ cups bread flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon ground mace
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter and 1½ cups sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well in between. Add molasses and maple syrup and beat to combine.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon ginger, and remaining spices. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix on medium-low to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar with remaining ginger. Form dough into 1½-inch balls, roll balls in ginger-sugar mixture, and place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until set and the tops crack slightly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.