When life gives you lemons, you could stick to making lemonade…or you could elevate your fruit into this lemony and tangy ice cream recipe. This simple, six ingredient summer delight from Palm&Pine perfectly balances citrus and sugar with preserved lemon and honey, without being overly sweet, that is sure to beat the sweltering southern heat.
Makes 2 quarts
3 cups whole milk
3 cups heavy cream
½ cup egg yolks
1½ cup sugar
6 tablespoons honey
2½ tablespoons diced preserved lemon
Special equipment: Cooking thermometer, ice cream machine
- Scald dairy in a large pot.
- Whisk sweeteners and yolks in a bowl.
- Temper dairy into yolks, add yolk mixture back to pot.
- Cook custard until 180 degrees, stirring constantly.
- Strain through chinois, add diced preserved lemon, cool in an ice bath.
- Once chilled thoroughly spin to your ice cream maker’s specifications.
Recipe ByAmarys Koenig Herndon of Palm&Pine in New Orleans
Contributing CityNew Orleans