- In a heavy saucepan combine the milk, cream, sugar, and carob.
- Stir and heat slowly. Remove from heat when very hot but just before boiling.
- Pour into a chilled bowl set over ice and stir to cool rapidly. Once mixture is chilled, stir in vanilla, cover, and put in fridge for 2 hours.
- Put mixture into ice cream machine and follow machine directions.
- When gelato starts to freeze and thicken, sprinkle chocolate shavings through mixture.
- Garnish with shell liquid chocolate and freeze for 3 hours.
Note: Gelato will keep for one week in the freezer.